Monday, May 30, 2016

The Person Who Saved My Life

Dr. Maricek and I at my first after surgery check up 


Dr. Marecik...he is THE MAN. I can't explain how lucky I am that he was the one assigned to my case when I was first admitted to the hospital in February. At that point, surgery was not even being considered but he still came to my room every day and explained things in a way that my other doctors did not. He easily could have done surgery in March when it was originally scheduled but he said it was too risky. He wanted me to gain weight and get nutrition through an IV so that I could be strong for surgery...he loves to call it "Beefed up." There were numerous times I called him in the middle of the night and on the weekends and he called back right away. He dealt with my crying and fears and he always reassured me that I was strong and I could fight this and make it through. He waited until the perfect time for my surgery. I was pretty healthy and had put 10 of the 30 pounds I lost back on. Surgery took him 4 hours but he said it was the best work he's ever done.

I saw him this past Friday for my follow up appointment. When he walked in the door he yelled, "Here's Trouble!" He was very impressed with my recovery progress. He answered my long list of questions (I always ask him a million questions that make us both laugh). One of the most important questions was when could I have a drink? He replies, "Get drunk this weekend, I think you deserve it."  So like a good patient  I had to follow doctor's orders this weekend :)

Dr. Marecik has saved my life and my intestines and I will forever be grateful for that. He is not only an amazing surgeon but an amazing person. I recommend him to anyone who may need surgery in the future. He is one of a kind.

http://chicagocolorectal.com/about-us/slawomir-marecik-md.php

No comments:

Post a Comment